top of page

 Puppies Available Now 
4 KC/AKC Registered British Labradors
5 AKC Registered British Labradors

Call Bill Gibson at 662-617-4769
or Bailey Newell at 229-495-7885

 

Our goal at Mossy Oak GameKeeper Kennels is to produce the finest hunting labs possible. Therefore, at our kennels the breeding selection process is never taken lightly. Much thought comes into play before the breeding sire and dam are selected. First, each sire and dam in our breeding cadre must be over two years old, trained, and must have been tested for and receive a passing report on hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, eye conditions, and DNA recessive genes such as PRCD, PRA, CNM and EIC. Any potential sires and dams falling below grade based on x-ray evaluations, ophthalmology evaluations, and genetic testing are automatically excluded from the breeding pool. Secondly, we compare attributes of each potential sire and dam in an attempt to mate only those dogs that reasonably assure us that the puppies resulting from the union will possess the health, biddability, and trainability attributes that we strive to produce. We then, to the greatest extent possible, track our puppies to reassure ourselves that we are meeting our pre-established goals for health, biddability, and trainability. A breeding will not be repeated if a puppy or puppies fail to meet our standards.

 

  All puppies are priced at $2,500. After the $500 deposit, we require $2,000 due at pickup. 

 

We take pride in producing the highest quality British Labs possible. To ensure we are selling the best British Labradors available, we take extended amounts of time planning our breedings around multiple factors. For example, one measure we take is ensuring we pair dogs together based on their DNA health results, eliminating the chance of our pups being affected by any recessive genes. We are so confident in our breeding decisions that we offer a 30 month health guarantee and full registration. Due to this rigorous process, we have very few litters a year, causing availability to become limited. This is a sacrifice we are willing to take to ensure our customers are satisfied with each and every dog they purchase. 

 Breeding and DNA Recessive Genes

Our View of DNA Recessive Genes
At Mossy Oak Kennels, we rely heavily on the results of DNA recessive gene tests when mapping out our annual breeding schedule. Why? Because the DNA results are a crucial part to our overall evaluation and selection process. Bad decisions during the selection process could contribute to narrowing of the gene pool and at worst produce pups with known health issues. The possible combinations of breedings based on DNA testing and the known outcomes are as follows:


                                                                                DNA Results Outcomes
                                                                                        Clear/Clear - 100% Clear


                                                                                     Clear/Carrier

                                                                                                or             - 50% Clear/50% Carrier
                                                                                     Carrier/Clear


                                                                                  Clear/Affected

                                                                                               or              - 100% Carrier
                                                                                  Affected/Clear


                                                                                  Carrier/Carrier - 25% Clear/25% Affected/50% Carrier

                                                                               Carrier/Affected

                                                                                               or               - 50% Carrier/50% Affected 
                                                                               Affected/Carrier 


                                                                            Affected/Affected - 100% Affected


Clear Dog: A clear dog is a non-carrier of the mutant gene. For us, the ideal breeding situation is clear to clear resulting in an all clear litter.


Carrier Dog: A carrier is a dog that carries one copy of the mutant gene but will never be affected. Breeding a clear to a carrier, will statistically produce puppies so that each puppy (not the litter as a whole) will have a 50% chance of being clear and a 50% chance of being a carrier. We opine that this is an acceptable breeding decision because none of the puppies will be affected. Whereas, breeding a carrier to a carrier will statistically pups with each pup having a 25% chance of being clear, a 25% chance of being affected and a 50% chance of being a carrier. Thus, breeding a carrier to a carrier is not an option.


Affected Dog: An affected dog is one that carries two mutant genes-one inherited from the sire and one from the dam. Breeding an affected to a carrier will statistically produce a litter with each puppy having a 50% chance of being a carrier and a 50% chance of being affected. Thus, we would not knowingly consider, recommend nor breed a carrier to a carrier, nor a carrier to an affected or an affected to affected. Although these type breedings have happened in instances where the breedings predated the identification of a new DNA recessive gene and you discover that both of the parents of a previous breeding possess one or both of the mutant genes and some or all of the puppies are affected.


As an example, let’s say that you have an affected dog that is. In your opinion, a once in a lifetime dog. His temperament is excellent, he is biddable and trainable and you wish to carry on his lines. Should you breed him? I would opine “yes” with the caveat that the breeding must be to a clear dog. Why? Because he, when bred with the right female would likely produce pups that have the “right stuff” and even though all the pups would be carriers, none would be affected or have health risk and there is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a carrier pup.


Again, let me reemphasize that breeding an affected to a clear will produce litters that are 100% carriers. But, assuming that the affected dog has an excellent pedigree, exhibits all the attributes of a great gundog and is a good match for a clear bitch, or vive-versa, there is no reason not to breed.

BRITISH LABRADOR RETRIEVER 
PUPPY SELECTION PROCESS

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS...

When we complete our annual breeding schedule, we post our plans online and then pre-sale six puppies out of each litter-limited to three males and three females. We also maintain a standby list; whereby, clients can pay a deposit with the understanding that their position on the list and the size and color of the litter will ultimately determine if they get a puppy. After the litter is born, we wait a few days before contacting those on the standby list. We then offer the remaining pups to those on the standby list.

 

It goes without saying that some litters will be a mix of black and yellow, some all black, and some all yellow. This can present a problem because litters are sold by sex and color. Thus, when the litter's color and sex makeup fall outside our client’s selection criterion, the client has several choices as set forth below:

1.) The client can request a refund.

2.) The client can pick a different color out of the litter.

3.) The client can pick a different sex out of the litter.

4.) The client can pick a different sex and color out of the litter.

5.) The client can change to another litter but, may not have the same pick status.

 

We price all our puppies at $2,500. To reserve a puppy, we require a $500 deposit. The balance of the purchase cost, $2,000, is due and payable on/or before the pick date. The payment(s) can be made by check, credit card, or with cash. A client's deposit establishes his or her spot in line on pick-up day. The first deposit received gets first pick, the second deposit gets the next pick, etc. Understand there will always be more than one first pick. Depending on the litters sex and color mix , there could be first pick male, first pick female, first pick black male, first pick yellow male etc. The date for picking the pup and taking it home will always be on the first Saturday after the pups are seven weeks old.

Check out our Breeding Schedule or contact us for future availability.

bottom of page